Turnitin External Tool
Note: Do not use the method outlined below if this is for a group assignment. Instead, use the instructions outlined for a Turnitin Plagiarism Review Canvas assignment.
- Sign in to the Canvas course site.
- Click on Assignments in the left-hand course navigation menu.
- Click the +Assignment button located in the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Enter an Assignment name and any necessary instructions into the boxes provided. Next, customize the following assignment settings to meet your needs:
- Assignment group
- Display grade as
- Select External Tool as the assignment Submission Type.
- Select the Find button. This will open a dialog box with an alphabetical list of external tools for you to choose from.
- Scroll down the list and choose Turnitin LTI from the list.
- Choose the Select button.
- Check the Assign to setting to ensure the assignment is assigned to the appropriate individuals. Typically, you want the default Everyone.
- Set the Due date as appropriate using the calendar button in the Due field.
- Set the Available from and Until dates as appropriate. This provides
studentsa window of opportunity to submit their assignment.
- Select Save.
- Select Settings on the next screen to review basic settings including maximum grade possible, assignment instructions, due date, and start date. Most of these basic settings correspond to the information you provided to Canvas in previous steps.
Note: Double check the Feedback Release Date. Feedback and Turnitin rubrics will not be available to students until the Feedback Release Date is reached.
- Select Optional Settings to customize the following Turnitin plagiarism settings:
- Store submissions in;
- Compare submissions against;
- Similarity Report;
- Enable grammar checking using ETS® e-rater® technology.
- Show originality report to students.
- Select the Submit button located at the bottom of the page.
- Select Edit Assignment Settings located on the right-hand side of the page.
- Click Save & Publish to save the assignment and publish it for students. Alternatively, click Save to save the assignment and keep it hidden from students.