UMKC Instructional Technology
☎ (816) 235-6700
Zoom for Students
Joining a Meeting
- Log into your Canvas course.
- Locate the meeting link provided by the instructor.
(You instructor may have the meeting link posted in a course module, announcement, or other locations in the course. Consult the instructor when in doubt.)
- Click the meeting link.
You will be directed to a new browser window that automatically begins the download of the Zoom launcher.
- Once the download is complete, open the file to install the launcher. This
See the Zoom Launcher Plugin page for instructions on different browsers.
NOTE: This is a one time installation. You might need to install the launcher if you used another browser, or another computer.
- After the installation is complete, the Zoom meeting will open.
NOTE: When prompted to type in your name, make sure to type your full name correctly as it will show in the attendance.
In a Meeting
Meeting Control Overview
Configuring Audio & Video
Depends on the instructor’s settings, you might be able to use your microphone, webcam and the Chat feature to communicate with others, or share desktop and annotate.
If the icon of a feature is mission or grayed out, it is probably disabled by the instructor. Review the Attendee Control guide for explanations of each icon and get familiar with your options.
Your instructor may record the meetings and share the recording video with the class.
- If the recordings were shared as a web link, click on the link to watch the video.
- If the recordings were shared in Kaltura, log into the Canvas course and go to Media Gallery.
Mon-Fri: email@example.com or 816-235-6700
24/7 support: 888-799-9666