UMKC Instructional Technology
☎ (816) 235-6700
Top Hat for Instructors
Notice: TurningPoint will not be supported after July 2018.
Top Hat is a web-based student response system and comprehensive teaching platform that instructors can use to engage students with interactive slides, graded questions, polls, assignments and more. Students can use smartphones, tablets, laptops, and ordinary cell phones to participate. Canvas integration is available for grade book synchronization.
Before You Adopt Top Hat
Please carefully review the Pedagogical Consideration Checklist. This guide helps instructors to understand if Top Hat is the right tool for their classes, and identify best practices.
Instructor accounts are free of charge and allow an unlimited number of courses.
If you are new to Top Hat, make an appointment with ITS by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We work with Top Hat to provide instructors with free services to facilitate your use or transition to Top Hat, including:
- One-on-one orientation with a Top Hat specialist.
- Follow-up meetings with a Top Hat instructional designer.
- Migrating existing PowerPoint files from TurningPoint to Top Hat.
Using Top Hat
- To Link your Canvas courses with Top Hat, follow the Integration instruction. The integration allows you to download student roster from Canvas, and post grades from Top Hat to Canvas.
- To create your Top Hat account and courses, follow the UMKC Instructor Quick Start Guide. This quick start guide also includes instructions on most frequently used features.
For orientation, training, or on campus support, contact email@example.com.
For technical support, contact Top Hat Support.