UMKC Instructional Technology
☎ (816) 235-6700
Getting Started with Panopto
Panopto is a lecture-capture platform that provides the ability to combine audio, video, PowerPoint/Keynote, and screen capture into one recording. Panopto can be used in ILE classrooms on the UMKC campus, or from any desktop, laptop, or mobile device where the Panopto software is installed.
Please note: Panopto is not a good fit for use as a remote proctoring tool. Currently, the UMKC Online group is piloting some proctoring tools, but none of the tools are available as a free service. If you would like more information about remote proctoring options and pricing, please contact UMKC Online by using this form: http://online.umkc.edu/about/contact-us/.
Panopto Recorder Information
Instructors who would like Panopto installed on university-owned computers can call the IS Call Center (816.235.2000) to arrange for software installation.
Instructors who would like Panopto installed on personally-owned computers can follow the steps below:
Step 1- Enable Panopto for use in your Canvas course
- Log onto Canvas with your UMKC credentials (http://canvas.umkc.edu)
- Navigate to your course site
- Click on Settings in the left-hand menu
- Click on the Navigation tab
- Scroll to the bottom until you find Panopto Recordings
- Click the three dots next to Panopto Recordings, then click +Enable:
- Left-click and hold down the mouse button on the Panopto Recordings entry to move it around the list
- Click Save
Step 2- Launch Panopto from your course and install the correct Recorder
- Once Panopto is enabled in your course, click on the Panopto Recordings link in the left-hand menu to launch Panopto
- Click on the green Create button, the Record a new session
- Download the appropriate installer from the list
- Follow the instructions given for installing your recorder – additional help can be found at the following links:
Install Panopto for Windows
Install Panopto for Mac
- After you have installed the recorder, you will follow the same steps to make a recording, except instead of installing a recorder, you will click the Launch Panopto button
Getting started with Panopto recording
- How to setup Panopto in Canvas (2 minutes)
- Where are my Panopto recordings in Blackboard? and how do I reuse them in Canvas? (4 minutes)
- How do I caption my recordings in Panopto? (documentation) (3 minutes video clip)
- Basic Editing for Panopto
For additional help with Panopto, please visit the Panopto Support Web site (search to get helpful documentation and videos). You can also get assistance via email at ITS@umkc.edu or by phone at 816.235.6700.