Creating Links to VitalSource Bookshelf in Canvas
- From your Canvas site click the Modules button in the course navigation menu.
- In the Modules page click the + button to the right of an existing module.
- In the dialog box that appears, choose External Tool from the Add dropdown menu.
- Choose VitalSource in the tool list that appears.
- The URL field should display https://bc.vitalsource.com/books – there should be no slash or anything else after the URL (See, Fig. 1).
If you cannot see the URL field and the remainder of the dialog box expand it by dragging the lower right corner or use the outermost scrollbar to scroll down.
- Enter the book title in the Page Name field. Consider a short title, for
instance Judicial Processor Carp & Stidham 10e instead of Judicial Process in America, 10th Edition. We recommend that you name the link in a way consistent with your usage in course documents such as the syllabus. If you are using more than one VitalSource book, all of the VitalSource books will appear underneath this link, so it may be more appropriate to name it something like Textbooks.
- Check the box for Load in a new tab. Launching it in a new tab provides a less cluttered look and maximizes the screen real estate available to the book.
- The first time you link a textbook you will need to accept the Terms and Privacy agreement and will be asked to log into VitalSource or register with your email address and create a password. Normally your email address should be your campus account, though it is not required. The password should not be the same one you use to login to campus systems.
- Use the Student View to test the link for students.
- Students sometimes have difficulty locating the textbook link. We suggest you put it in a module by itself, or with other, explanatory materials, such as a note on AutoAccess. Clearly label the module as Textbook.
- If students report problems using their VitalSource text on their phone or tablet, suggest they download the VitalSource Bookshelf app.
If you encounter technical difficulties, please contact email@example.com