UMKC is transitioning to the Canvas learning management system
We are pleased to announce that the University of Missouri-Kansas City is transitioning the Blackboard learning management system (LMS) to a new system, Canvas. An initial pilot group has been selected from across the schools and departments.
Faculty in the pilot will receive training and transition their courses to the Canvas LMS for the Spring 2018 semester. The pilot group will provide recommendations on how to improve UMKC’s transition to Canvas. We are here to help all faculty as they transition beginning in the Fall of 2018.
Your UMKC Canvas Transition Team
UMKC Canvas Transition Timeline
Courses can be converted but not taught in Canvas unless part of pilot. Blackboard and Moodle remain available.
Courses move to Canvas voluntarily (highly encouraged). Moodle is discontinued; Blackboard remains available.
All courses must be taught in Canvas.
Blackboard is discontinued.
Blackboard ends in...
Frequently Asked Questions
Will there be Canvas training?
How can I get help with Canvas?
- For technical help, you can email ITS (email@example.com)
- For instructional design help, you can email UMKC Online (firstname.lastname@example.org)
How do I migrate my course from Blackboard to Canvas?
- Use these instructions for Migrating a Course from Blackboard to Canvas (PDF)
When can faculty begin Faculty Certification in Online Teaching for Canvas?
- Faculty Certification in Online Teaching will begin in Canvas Feb. 26th. Register at our workshops page here.
When does the Blackboard version of Faculty Certification in Online Teaching end?
- Instructors wishing to complete their Faculty Certification in Online Teaching in the Blackboard LMS will have until March 31st, 2018 to finish.
How does a new user set up their account information in Canvas?
- All UMKC faculty, staff, and students will access the Canvas LMS with their University SSO. This video tutorial provides information on customizing your Canvas account.