Student Information System (SIS) Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) ReviewUpdate Archive
November 7, 2017
- Team leads met with their respective provosts to discuss the September 19th presentation and get feedback on stated focus moving forward.
- Completed reviewing change recommendations for business processes from the final report. Changes recommendations are being placed into three “buckets”:
- No change recommended.
- Collaborative effort between functional area(s) and EAS to start making changes. Taking action will still require direction from leaders in many cases.
- Senior leaders need to make decisions before action can be taken.
- Team leads and AACRAO consultant (Dr. Reid Kisling) met with UMAOs on October 20, 2017.
- Discussion focused on the need to have more clarity around what it will mean, administratively, to be the same until the campuses need to be different.
- UMAOs have asked that the project be put on hold until strategic plans at the four campuses are done and what being the same until the campuses need to be different is clearly defined.
October 6, 2017
- Submitted final report to Gary Allen and Steve Graham, August 1, 2017.
- Presented outcomes to UMAOs, September 19, 2017. Key messages:
- Clarity concerning how the campuses should be the same and where they should be different.
- The need for a governance structure that aligns with the System’s organizational structure.
- Opportunities in the current environment.
- The need for a highly architected student system that allows for integration of additional and necessary support systems
- Reviewing change recommendations made within the final report. The team made recommendations based on changes to the current system (v9.0), during the upgrade to v9.2, and/or a future system. These recommendations are being analyzed by the EAS team to determine feasibility of the change and next steps.
- A consultant from AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) has been hired to provide feedback on the committee process, outcomes and assist in communicating to the UMAOs what the necessary next steps must be.
June 8, 2017
- Completed SIPOCs on all 45 processes; analyze the output.
- Completed exercises #4-#5 (discussion of output of SIPOCs, campuses differences, and recommendations for future changes).
- Continued the 3rd party systems and apps collection process and began discussions about keeping these lists up-to-date in the future.
- Began drafting the Final Recommendations document.
May 23, 2017
- Completed data analysis of the prioritized business processes.
- Identified processes to be fully document/evaluated for exercises #3-#5; 46 processes were identified:
- Admissions: 6
- Cashiers: 11
- Financial Aid: 15
- Registrar: 14
- Began exercise #3 – SIPOCs. This involves identifying the suppliers to the process, inputs and outputs, customers, and the process at a high level.
- Continued identifying 3rd party systems and apps at each campus.
April 26, 2017
- Ran all identified business processes (600+) through the prioritization instrument (Exercise #2).
- Began analysis of prioritized processes data.
- Met with MU K-12 online and MU Extension – discussed considerations for a Future SIS.
- Began collecting from each campus 3rd party systems and apps (UMSL and EAS).
- Documented all communication strategies for the project.
- Conducted interviews with all team leads focusing on project progress and identifying any issues.
March 22, 2017
- Create SIS ERP Information Webpage. The webpage lives on UMKC’s online page: https://online.umkc.edu/sis-update/). The team leads have been instructed to contact their Provost’s office and have them place a link on the Provost pages.
- Conducted training for individuals who will facilitate the meetings with subject matter experts for Exercise #3 (SIPOC), Exercise #4 (Identifying Differences), and Exercise #5 (Recommendations).
- Tested adjusted prioritization matrix and finalized.
- Created support documentation for the prioritization matrix.
- Began developing the Stewardship/Governance Principles for the project.
February 20, 2017
- Completed Exercise #1 – Normalization with Admissions, Cashiers, Financial Aid, and Registrars.
- Tested prioritization matrix with functional areas listed above and made adjustments.
- Began aligning the work EAS is conducting on mods with the SIS ERP project.
- Facilitator training materials for Exercises 3-5 drafted; training set for March 15, 2017 in Columbia.
- Work breakdown structure adjusted to align with the current work status of the project.
- “Security,” “Technical” and “Support” defined in relationship to this project.
January 9, 2017
- Finished collecting business processes for all functional areas (Registrar, Admissions,Financial Aid, and Cashiers).
- Finalized a draft of the instrument that will be used to prioritize the business processes that need to be documented/evaluated.
- Began identifying processes from functional areas to test the prioritization instrument.
- Identified facilitators at each campus and from system that will assist functional experts during the documentation/evaluation process.
- Began developing facilitator schedule/training materials.
- Presented update to UMAOs.